HEADLINES

All Negeri Sembilan Umno reps withdraw support for MB Aminuddin over chieftains crisis

This leaves the Pakatan Harapan-led state government with only 17 assemblymen in the 36 seat assembly

11:17 AM MYT

 

KUALA LUMPUR —All 14 Umno assemblymen in Negeri Sembilan have withdrawn their support for Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Aminuddin Harun, state party chief Datuk Seri Jalaluddin Alias said today.

He said Negeri Sembilan Umno has lost confidence in Pakatan Harapan’s (PH) Aminuddin over the crisis involving four chieftains who want to remove the state’s Yang di-Pertuan Besar Tuanku Muhriz Tuanku Munawir, as the head of state.

Jalaluddin, who is Pertang assemblyman, called a press conference today to announce Umno’s withdrawal of support for Aminuddin.

He said he and the 13 other assemblymen from his party were “saddened and disappointed” by the crisis, which they believed Aminuddin could have handled more swiftly.

“All 14 Umno-Barisan Nasional (BN) assemblymen unanimously declare our loss of confidence in the Menteri Besar and his administration,” Jalauddin told the press conference, as reported by Free Malaysia Today.

Negeri Sembilan Umno chairman Datuk Seri Jalaluddin Alias (seated, middle) at the press conference with other Umno assemblymen today. – Screenshot, April 27, 2026

There are 36 seats in the Negeri Sembilan legislative assembly, giving it a simple majority of 18. Without the 14 assemblymen from BN-Umno, the PH-led government only has the support of its own 17 representatives. 

The opposition, Perikatan Nasional, holds five seats.

Jalaluddin said Negeri Sembilan Umno would be sending an official letter to the state legislative assembly speaker to inform him of their shift in support for the state government.

He said Aminuddin had failed to handle the crisis effectively, keeping it under wraps that Umno, despite being part of the state government, only knew about it when it became public knowledge.

“This issue involving the state royalty could impact the stability of the state administration,” Jalauddin said.

Aminuddin, who is Sikamat assemblyman, is from PKR and was sworn in as Menteri Besar for a second term in August 2023.

The ongoing crisis involves Negeri Sembilan’s Undang Berempat, who are four territorial chieftains with the power to elect the head of state, the Yang di-Pertuan Besar.

The four chieftains recently declared the removal of Tuanku Muhriz as the Yang di-Pertuan Besar.

Aminuddin, however, said the state government regarded the declaration as illegal, as one of the chiefs, Datuk Mubarak Dohak had since May last year ceased to be the Undang Luak of Sungai Ujong and as such had no authority. – April 27, 2026

Topics

 

Popular

Online Safety Act enforces stricter rules, enhances protection for minors online

New law aims to curb harmful content and limit under-16 access on social media, Platforms must implement age verification and safeguard children from digital risks

Fahmi Fadzil takes Papagomo, Ahmad Dusuki and Mohd Fauzan to court for alleged defamation

Minister seeks justice after three-year wait following false allegations of political campaigning in a mosque

FIFA meets CONMEBOL over 64-team World Cup expansion plan 

South American leaders push for historic 2030 tournament with bigger format

Related