HEADLINES

Iran confirm Sepak Takraw World Cup participation in KL despite regional conflict

Iran have confirmed their participation in the Sepak Takraw World Cup in Kuala Lumpur despite the ongoing conflict in West Asia, with officials describing the decision as a major boost to the sport’s growing international appeal and competitiveness

7:00 PM MYT

 

KUALA LUMPUR – Iran have confirmed their participation in the Sepak Takraw World Cup in Kuala Lumpur despite the ongoing conflict in West Asia, in what officials say reflects the sport’s growing international reach.

Malaysian Corruption Watch (MCW) president Jais Abdul Karim, speaking in his capacity as Chairman of the Ethics and Integrity Committee of the Asian Sepak Takraw Federation, confirmed that Iran will be among the competing nations at the tournament to be held at Stadium Titiwangsa from May 16 to 23.

“One piece of news I received recently is that the Iran team, despite being in a state of war, is still willing to come and take part in this world championship at the last minute,” he told Scoop when met.

“This shows that sepak takraw is starting to gain attention from the world.”

Iran are among 14 countries confirmed for the premier category, alongside hosts Malaysia, in what is expected to be one of the most competitive editions of the tournament.

Jais Abdul Karim – Scoop pic, May 13, 2026

International Sepak Takraw Federation (ISTAF) secretary-general Datuk Abdul Halim Kader previously said the Iranian squad were making arrangements to travel to Malaysia via Turkiye as they finalise flight logistics ahead of the competition.

The tournament will feature regu, men’s regu and quadran events, with participation from Thailand, Singapore, Indonesia, India, South Korea, Japan, Brunei, the Philippines, Myanmar, Vietnam, China and Taiwan also confirmed in the premier division.

The inclusion of Iran, despite regional instability, is being viewed as a positive development for the sport’s expansion beyond its traditional strongholds in Southeast Asia, with several emerging nations continuing to raise their competitive standards.

Meanwhile, Jais confirmed to Scoop that he has been appointed as a jury for this year’s edition of the championship, saying he was honoured to continue his involvement at the international level.

“I am proud to be appointed again as a jury for this championship. It is a responsibility I take seriously, and I will carry out my duty with full commitment and fairness,” he said.

He added that his appointment reflects continuity in his role within the sport’s international officiating structure.

Jais, who has been serving as an international sepak takraw jury since 2022, said he has officiated in 12 major international championships, including World Cups, World Championships and Thailand’s King’s Cup.

“I have been serving since 2022. I have been a jury in 12 major championships,” he said.

He added that the level of international competition has improved significantly, citing Japan and India as examples of rising challengers in the quadran event.

“In the quadran event, Japan are the current world champions. Japan met India in the final. In the semi-finals, Japan beat Malaysia and India beat Thailand,” he said.

Jais noted that both Japan and India had undergone long-term training programmes in Thailand, which had contributed to their rapid development in the sport. – May 13, 2026

Topics

 

Popular

Petronas staff to be shown the door to make up losses from Petros deal?

Source claims national O&G firm is expected to see 30% revenue loss once agreed formula for natural gas distribution in Sarawak is implemented

InDrive faces termination for flouting guidelines

It is the second Russian e-hailing app after Maxim to face ban by Land Public Transport Agency

Cleared for layoffs? AirAsia to retrench 20% of workforce in major cost-cutting move

This allegedly involves cabin services, cargo and logistics, engineering and maintenance, as well as the commercial division, according to Scoop’s source

Related