KUALA LUMPUR – The Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC), in partnership with the Selangor government, is planning to extend its filtered internet service to public facilities and private higher education institutions (IPTS) across the state.
Selangor Islamic Affairs and Innovation Culture Committee chairman Dr Mohammad Fahmi Ngah said the expansion followed positive results from a pilot initiative introduced at mosques, aimed at reducing exposure to harmful online content.
He said internet filtering was necessary to ensure digital connectivity was used responsibly, particularly during activities involving worship and education.
“If we install a filtering system at mosques to prevent children from playing online games during prayer times, the same approach will be extended to IPTS and related public residences,” he told reporters after officiating the Petaling Jaya District Safe Internet Campaign Community Carnival 2026 at Kampung Lindungan here today.
Addressing online security concerns, Mohammad Fahmi said 35,073 online scam cases had been reported as of June, resulting in losses of RM951.7 million, with investment scams contributing RM413.8 million.
“Losses amounting to nearly RM1 billion involve people’s life savings. Therefore, the public needs to practise the concept of ‘tabayyun’ or careful verification through the principles of ‘Check Before Clicking, Think Before Sharing’,” he said.
He also suggested that artificial intelligence (AI) technology be used to help authorities detect harmful keywords, fake accounts and potentially abusive content linked to cyberbullying and extremism, rather than relying solely on public reports.
The carnival, organised by MCMC, drew more than 300 visitors and featured various activities, including aerobics, a Mobile Legends e-sports competition and cybersecurity awareness sessions.
Visitor Nor Syuhadah Maznan, 28, said combining entertainment activities with digital safety advocacy helped make online safety messages more accessible and engaging for the community.
“The government’s efforts should continue for the safety of the younger generation, as online content today often crosses boundaries unintentionally,” she said. – August 23, 2026
