HEADLINES

MACC seeks court order over RM5.5bil Jersey assets linked to Daim family

High Court to hear application on August 13 over alleged undeclared offshore holdings under AMLA

3:40 PM MYT

 

KUALA LUMPUR — The High Court has set August 13 to hear an application by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) seeking to prevent Toh Puan Na’imah Abdul Khalid and related parties from managing offshore assets in Jersey valued at about RM5.5 billion.

The assets in question comprise US$157.5 million (RM667 million) and £85 million (RM4.9 billion) held in the British Crown Dependency.

Judicial Commissioner Noor Ruwena Md Nurdin fixed the hearing date during case management proceedings on Thursday. Deputy public prosecutor Mahadi Abdul Jumaat appeared for the prosecution, while counsel Muhammad Nizamuddin Abdul Hamid represented Na’imah. Na’imah was not required to attend the proceedings.

Court documents show the application was filed by MACC on June 25 last year. The commission alleges that the assets were acquired by Na’imah or individuals connected to her in Malaysia and were not declared to the Inland Revenue Board of Malaysia.

The bid is brought under Section 53 of the Anti-Money Laundering, Anti-Terrorism Financing and Proceeds of Unlawful Activities Act 2001 (AMLA), following investigations conducted under both tax laws and anti-money laundering provisions.

This marks the third MACC application involving overseas assets linked to the late Tun Daim Zainuddin and his family.

Previous proceedings covered assets in the United Kingdom and Singapore. On June 19 last year, MACC sought a restraining order against Na’imah, her son Muhammed Amir Zainuddin, two individuals, five companies and associated parties, involving investment funds worth about £21 million (RM121 million) and US$99 million (RM423 million) held in Singapore.

However, the High Court of Malaya dismissed the application on May 22 this year, according to previous reports.

In a separate matter involving The Ilham Foundation, the High Court is scheduled to deliver its decision on June 30 on Na’imah’s application to strike out MACC’s bid to freeze several London-based commercial and residential properties valued at £132 million.

MACC chief commissioner Tan Sri Azam Baki previously disclosed that the commission had opened eight investigation papers after receiving new information from foreign enforcement agencies concerning assets linked to Daim, his family members and alleged proxies.

He said the assets under investigation were not declared during earlier MACC probes in 2023.

Earlier, lawyers representing Na’imah and her children rejected claims that she had been uncontactable during investigations into an alleged plot to topple the government. The legal firm Raj & Sach said a formal written response had been submitted upon receipt of a police notice, adding that Na’imah and her family had fully cooperated with investigators throughout. – June 18, 2026

Topics

 

Popular

Duck and cover? FashionValet bought Vivy’s 30 Maple for RM95 mil in 2018

Purchase of Duck's holding company which appears to be owned wholly by Datin Vivy Yusof and husband Datuk Fadzarudin Shah Anuar was made same year GLICs invested RM47 mil

Over 23.6 million to benefit as new electricity tariff kicks in July 1

The Energy Commission has set a new average base tariff of 45.40 sen/kWh for RP4, slightly lower than before, bringing overall electricity costs down by up to 19% compared to the previous regulatory period

Malaysia pulls the plug on Kuwaiti Hornet deal after years of turbulence

RMAF walks away from costly, outdated aircraft amid rising concerns over integration, support, and long-term value

Related