HEADLINES

US$1.4 trillion lawsuit: Meta fights massive US trial over child addiction claims

California leads a landmark 29-state legal blitz targeting Meta's core business model, warning that addictive features on Facebook and Instagram have systematically harmed minors

12:23 PM MYT

 

SAN JOSE – A potentially far-reaching trial over children’s use of Meta’s apps began in California on Tuesday, with the company accused of deliberately encouraging excessive use of its social media platforms by minors, reported German Press Agency (dpa).

A group of 29 states participating in the litigation also allege that the parent company of Instagram and Facebook concealed the risks from parents and the public.

Meta denies the allegations.

The jury trial in Oakland began with opening statements on Tuesday.

The states, led by California, are seeking financial penalties as well as changes to Meta’s business model.

Meta said in a recent court filing that the penalties sought by the states are excessive and could amount to US$1.4 trillion, a sum it said could threaten the company’s existence.

Lawyers for the states, however, have said the amount could instead be closer to US$200 billion. 

Meta has recently suffered several significant defeats in United States (US) courts.

Earlier this month in New Mexico, Meta was ordered to pay more than half a billion dollars to fund assistance for children harmed by social media use.

The company was also ordered to introduce additional restrictions for users under the age of 18 in the state, including limiting their use of Facebook and Instagram to a maximum of 90 hours per month.

Meta plans to appeal.

In March, Meta and Google’s video platform YouTube lost a landmark case concerning the addictive features of online services, such as infinite scroll and algorithmic recommendations.

A jury in Los Angeles concluded the platforms had acted negligently and failed to adequately inform users about the risks.

The two companies were ordered to pay a total of US$6 million to a young woman.

The companies also plan to appeal that ruling. – August 19, 2026

Topics

 

Popular

Petronas staff to be shown the door to make up losses from Petros deal?

Source claims national O&G firm is expected to see 30% revenue loss once agreed formula for natural gas distribution in Sarawak is implemented

Duck and cover? FashionValet bought Vivy’s 30 Maple for RM95 mil in 2018

Purchase of Duck's holding company which appears to be owned wholly by Datin Vivy Yusof and husband Datuk Fadzarudin Shah Anuar was made same year GLICs invested RM47 mil

Cleared for layoffs? AirAsia to retrench 20% of workforce in major cost-cutting move

This allegedly involves cabin services, cargo and logistics, engineering and maintenance, as well as the commercial division, according to Scoop’s source

Related